Thermador Melted Circuit Board Downraft Vent
We moved into our home in 2007.Previous owner had just redone kitchen, went high end on appliances not knowing they were going to have job transfer.
Recently Thermador downdraft fan stopped working properly. Figured it was out of warranty by now, I took a look to see if it was a switch I could replace - discovered it had a circuit board. I was shocked to see that the circuit board had started to melt along with the wires leading to it. I called Thermador, said I knew it must be out of warranty by now - but it seemed like a defect in manufacturing or design flaw and a fire hazard.
After many calls, Thermador reluctantly agreed to send someone at their expense to "diagnose". The technician informed me it happens all the time.
I maintain for the amount of money spent on this type of product one should expect it to last longer than five or six years, and of all the appliances I have ever owned, it is the only one that has ever had a part that melted and posed a fire hazard. Thermador refuses to make good - "it is out of warranty" and it is "normal wear and tear".
I recorded my last conversation with Thermador. The audio, as well as pictures of the melted circuit board and wires and a video of it sparking and smoking can be found on you tube under the user BillHDenver. I now have a stove in the middle of the kitchen with no ventilation.
I want others - who own one of these or are contemplating the purchase of one - to understand the risk and I would like the Thermador to remedy the situation.I have not yet explored whether I am limited to a Thermador brand based on the dimensions of the hole in the granite countertop.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Thermador Vent
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "On April 23, 2015 I made the mistake of ordering a microwave oven, 5 year warranty and trim kit from AppliancesConnection.com. At the time of placing the order,..."
- "14 months after purchasing my PIC units, one of them came totally apart. Customer service tells me "sorry it only comes with a 12 month warranty. Offered me a discount..."
- "I purchased a defective element TV from target on black Friday, tried to have target exchange it but they were out of stock so i attempted to call element electronics..."
- "2016 fleetwood jamboree sport 26 foot. Was to be my retirement home. Purchased march 31st 2016. To date Sept 4 3016 have been nowhere. Lots of small issues initially then..."
- "I am still dealing with this company, they are garnishing my checks. My payments was $450.00 a month, I couldn't not afford to keep, they where not trying to..."
- "NOTE > Complaint And All Documents Available Upon Request ..."
- "In short I have had a pair of lucky jeans for over ten years still my favorite. Baught 3 new pairs 3 months ago and they fell apart. old tag..."
- "I have spent alot of money at the buckle and against my wife's wishes, I bought expensive jeans that cost about $100 a piece. Within a year one of the..."
- "I have been a long term customer of this business with no problem. The first time I had a problem was when they sent me the wrong product. ..."