Thermador Melted Circuit Board Downraft Vent
We moved into our home in 2007.Previous owner had just redone kitchen, went high end on appliances not knowing they were going to have job transfer.
Recently Thermador downdraft fan stopped working properly. Figured it was out of warranty by now, I took a look to see if it was a switch I could replace - discovered it had a circuit board. I was shocked to see that the circuit board had started to melt along with the wires leading to it. I called Thermador, said I knew it must be out of warranty by now - but it seemed like a defect in manufacturing or design flaw and a fire hazard.
After many calls, Thermador reluctantly agreed to send someone at their expense to "diagnose". The technician informed me it happens all the time.
I maintain for the amount of money spent on this type of product one should expect it to last longer than five or six years, and of all the appliances I have ever owned, it is the only one that has ever had a part that melted and posed a fire hazard. Thermador refuses to make good - "it is out of warranty" and it is "normal wear and tear".
I recorded my last conversation with Thermador. The audio, as well as pictures of the melted circuit board and wires and a video of it sparking and smoking can be found on you tube under the user BillHDenver. I now have a stove in the middle of the kitchen with no ventilation.
I want others - who own one of these or are contemplating the purchase of one - to understand the risk and I would like the Thermador to remedy the situation.I have not yet explored whether I am limited to a Thermador brand based on the dimensions of the hole in the granite countertop.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Thermador Vent
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "I bought an element TV 42" at target and two months after the TV started to turn off by itself every 5 minutes. I went to target and couldn't return..."
- "We purchased a Kenmore Dishwasher (Model 665.13732K601) when we remodeled approximately 4 years ago. The dishwasher has done a good job cleaning, but after the first year the buttons..."
- "I purchased a 50-inch TV during the first shopping event at Walmart Thanksgiving Day for the one hour guarantee. Upon arriving home (2-hours away from the store), I entered..."
- "Bought a brand new generator tested it and the engine ran fine unfortunately I didn't think to check power output. When the latest storms hit my area I found the..."
- "Just bought these 2 months ago. Today the sole at the heel came away from the sneaker. They must use some pretty cheap glue to have them fall apart after..."
- "Over the last three months my head has been left spinning trying to first inquire, then complain and finally to "educate" the people who answer the phone at Express Scripts...."
- "My daughter wanted Wen to see her "review". In case photo is not readable, it says: "Poison" "You broke my heart" "How would you feel?" "Me (picture) notice I did not draw hair" "Now..."
- "I received my written notice of my lease expiration and pending rent increase when and if I renew my lease in October. My current base rent is $1,454.00..."
- "Stayed at super 8 on west 29th st in Greeley co .price was good but room awfull. Bath tub doesn't drain after showering for over 3 hours. Walls havent been..."