Thermador Melted Circuit Board Downraft Vent

We moved into our home in 2007.Previous owner had just redone kitchen, went high end on appliances not knowing they were going to have job transfer.

Recently Thermador downdraft fan stopped working properly. Figured it was out of warranty by now, I took a look to see if it was a switch I could replace - discovered it had a circuit board. I was shocked to see that the circuit board had started to melt along with the wires leading to it. I called Thermador, said I knew it must be out of warranty by now - but it seemed like a defect in manufacturing or design flaw and a fire hazard.

After many calls, Thermador reluctantly agreed to send someone at their expense to "diagnose". The technician informed me it happens all the time.

I maintain for the amount of money spent on this type of product one should expect it to last longer than five or six years, and of all the appliances I have ever owned, it is the only one that has ever had a part that melted and posed a fire hazard. Thermador refuses to make good - "it is out of warranty" and it is "normal wear and tear".

I recorded my last conversation with Thermador. The audio, as well as pictures of the melted circuit board and wires and a video of it sparking and smoking can be found on you tube under the user BillHDenver. I now have a stove in the middle of the kitchen with no ventilation.

I want others - who own one of these or are contemplating the purchase of one - to understand the risk and I would like the Thermador to remedy the situation.I have not yet explored whether I am limited to a Thermador brand based on the dimensions of the hole in the granite countertop.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 1 Yes 1 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Nov 21, 2013 #745466 Tucson, Arizona

I too have this issue, and since the repair was finally done to replace circuite board, I was cooking on gas burner when there was an explosion from behind by range. Was large enough explosion that it blew my hair back, and luckily I was not hurt. Thermador just gave me two more names of companies to do repairs? Worthless, after a !! $30K appliance package with all Pro series of Thermador. I have never felt more ***. Now cannot afford to replace all these appliances either. DO NOT BUY Thermador Appliances in Tucson, AZ there is no one who can do repairs properly. The dealer I bought them from didn't know how to install them either. We didn't let them finish after they stripped all screws on Frige and Freezer and damaged our new cabinets. I am a contractor and to have friends and collegues to my home to see unfinished repair is humiliating too. I do tell all who we bought from so they do not make same mistake....

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Thermador. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Thermador.
Filing a new complaint about