Thermador Melted Circuit Board Downraft Vent
We moved into our home in 2007.Previous owner had just redone kitchen, went high end on appliances not knowing they were going to have job transfer.
Recently Thermador downdraft fan stopped working properly. Figured it was out of warranty by now, I took a look to see if it was a switch I could replace - discovered it had a circuit board. I was shocked to see that the circuit board had started to melt along with the wires leading to it. I called Thermador, said I knew it must be out of warranty by now - but it seemed like a defect in manufacturing or design flaw and a fire hazard.
After many calls, Thermador reluctantly agreed to send someone at their expense to "diagnose". The technician informed me it happens all the time.
I maintain for the amount of money spent on this type of product one should expect it to last longer than five or six years, and of all the appliances I have ever owned, it is the only one that has ever had a part that melted and posed a fire hazard. Thermador refuses to make good - "it is out of warranty" and it is "normal wear and tear".
I recorded my last conversation with Thermador. The audio, as well as pictures of the melted circuit board and wires and a video of it sparking and smoking can be found on you tube under the user BillHDenver. I now have a stove in the middle of the kitchen with no ventilation.
I want others - who own one of these or are contemplating the purchase of one - to understand the risk and I would like the Thermador to remedy the situation.I have not yet explored whether I am limited to a Thermador brand based on the dimensions of the hole in the granite countertop.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Thermador Vent
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "Hello My name is Janie Long. I bought a new Wave oven and after about 6 times of using it the dome crack's in half. The heating element still works..."
- "We purchased a Kenmore Dishwasher (Model 665.13732K601) when we remodeled approximately 4 years ago. The dishwasher has done a good job cleaning, but after the first year the buttons..."
- "14 months after purchasing my PIC units, one of them came totally apart. Customer service tells me "sorry it only comes with a 12 month warranty. Offered me a discount..."
- "I bought two items from TB Dress for Christmas. First, I ordered a plain single-breasted coat for my husband. TB Dress sent me the wrong coat -- it's the wrong..."
- "My daughter wanted Wen to see her "review". In case photo is not readable, it says: "Poison" "You broke my heart" "How would you feel?" "Me (picture) notice I did not draw hair" "Now..."
- "I received my written notice of my lease expiration and pending rent increase when and if I renew my lease in October. My current base rent is $1,454.00..."
- "Dealing with Consumers Kitchens and Baths was a terrible experience! I do believe that they are the worst company I have ever dealt with. After they sent a man to..."
- "Had my jeep in for a paint job and was horrified to see that they painted my jeep Red jeep. orange!! I also dealt with the manager Lillie, rude!! And..."
- "Total lack of communication by Builder with each other and home owner. They will tell you what you want to hear and then stall or not do it. 9 months..."